Avnø folk high school is an integral part of Oasis Ecovillage, which contains three equally important dimensions: The Danish højskole (peoples college) tradition, community and eco-preneurship. This combination provides a unique opportunity to combine theoretical knowledge of sustainability, health, entrepreneurship and community with practical application. ☺
Room and board; Avnø Højskole has three categories of rooms, single, double and triple, all with en suite bathrooms.
All prices include three meals a day (Saturday and Sunday breakfast and lunch are sometimes combined for brunch). You can read more about the food here.
Admission: Everyone who is 17.5 years old and can pay for the tuition is welcome to apply for admission. Each application is processed individually and answered as soon as possible.
Cancellation: If you cancel your application more than 4 weeks before the course starts, the school reserves the right to keep the administration fee of DKK 1,500. If you cancel your stay after the course starts, you pay for the rest of the course or the current week plus the next 3 weeks depending on what is cheapest for you. If you cancel your application less than 4 weeks before the course starts, the same rules apply as for interrupting the course.
Payment: You can pay for the entire course at once or divide it into installments.
Participation in lessons and other activities: Participation in lessons and other activities at the school is mandatory. Of course, you are allowed to be absent from lessons and other activities if you have a valid reason and announce absence in advance. The key is communication.
Guests: You are welcome to receive guests, provided they do not interfere with your active participation in the course. Guests must pay for room and board and the school must be informed in good time. You are responsible for the behavior of your guests during their stay at the school.
Code of Conduct: Our basic attitude to life is reflected in this sentence:
We compassionately connect with ourselves, each other and the environment and contribute to a thriving planet.
We expect you to
- behave considerately and seek to meet your needs in a way that doesn’t hurt others
- actively participates in the community
- use your mentor if something is not working for you, rather than creating drama around you
- respect your own and others’ private space and personal comfort zone.
- actively contribute to co-creating a drug-, alcohol- and stimulance-free environment, where we try to listen to our own and each others’ underlying needs. This policy implies that daily stimulants such as sugar and coffee are only exceptionally served at the school. Of course, we do not interfere in what you do in your private life. We are aware that this immediately may be perceived as a limitation. For us, it is a genuine desire to be in touch with ourselves and each other on a deeper level and to give guests and students the experience of having a real choice. If addictive substances are constantly being served and one does not know a life without, there is no real choice. Of course, this can be challenging. Talk to us if it feels difficult. We are happy to help find pragmatic solutions.
- care for our living spaces, buildings and the nature around us.
- sort waste. (Recycling bins are available in the hallway and in the kitchen.)
- make sure to be inside the building before 10 pm, when the exterior doors are locked.
- allow yourself and others to turn inward and sit at one of the quiet tables in the dining room during meals when needed. It can be intense to always be social.
- only stay in the kitchen area when you are part of the kitchen team or invited to help.
- wash hands before we sit down at the table and enjoy our food.
- use the kitchenettes on the other floors for tea and snacks only – not for cooking.
- contribute to the composting of organic waste
- only smoke in agreed places and never inside the house, if you are a smoker.
- refrain from consuming, buying or selling any kind of drugs. It is forbidden. The same goes for the use of physical or verbal violence against someone in school. Violation of this could result in expulsion.
- wear clean / indoor shoes inside the buildings.
- help to save as much as possible on electricity, heat, water etc. Examples: Switch off the radiator, when you open the window. Fill the washing machine. Avoid running the faucet. Use a tub or bowl for washing vegetables, dishes etc. Feel free to invent more ways. Make it a sport to save for the sake of nature!
- do not drink tap water in your room as the pipes may not have been used for a while.
- do not throw anything in the toilets other than toilet paper and please don’t use more than necessary, as our sewer system is old.
For you who come from another country
Here are some important rules and regulations from the Danish authorities that you must be aware of and comply with, when applying for residence:
- Your place is reserved once full tuition is paid.
- As Avnø højskole is not state subsidized, please be aware that applying for permission at our school cannot be used to get a visa for entrance into Denmark. You will have to travel on a tourist visa.
- You are responsible for submitting your application for a visa or residence permit to the nearest Danish embassy. As visa processing can take more than 2 months, thus you are advised to apply well in advance.
- If you apply too late to be able to participate when the course starts, the school reserves the right to cancel your participation or move it to the next possible start time. In case your stay is cancelled, the tuition fee will be returned to you less DKK 1500 in administration costs.
- If you cancel your stay, you must provide documentation that you have not used the school to apply for a visa or residence permit.
- After satisfactory documentation, the tuition fee is returned on the same terms as for Danish students. In the event of cancellation of your stay, the school is obliged to notify the Danish immigration authorities.
- As courses are taught in English at a high level, it is necessary that you have functional English skills to benefit from the course.
- You are responsible for your travel insurance. Approximately 4 weeks after arrival, however, students with a residence permit receive the Danish health insurance card, which covers basic health insurance during the stay.
- Being in Denmark means that we must comply with national laws, rules and regulations. Any transgression will result in a strong warning and possible expulsion.
For more information, do not hesitate to contact us.
We look forward to welcoming you to a course on Avnø Højskole ☺